Saturday, January 4, 2014

I'm sitting at my computer determined to post new thoughts about my word for 2014....Enough. I've already deleted 4 attempts and have just thrown up my hands and said to myself, "I'm not a good enough writer to be a blogger". Enough. What does it mean to be "good enough"?  What standards are there that define what good enough looks like for blogging? Why do I get so bogged down? As I've been mulling over "enough" during the holidays, I'm beginning to recognize (with the help of my family) that at many levels I am a perfectionist. I place standards and expectations on myself (and others) that have little basis in reality. So what if my blog isn't perfect? What does that even mean? After a particularly impactful message by Pastor Monte Ingersoll at church last Sunday,  I realize that in order for me to embrace 2014, there are some things I need to leave in 2013. Worries, wounds, and wrongs (Feel free to check out my friend's blog at www.betteroffread.com for an overview). Why? Because worry exhausts energy, exaggerates the problem and in the end doesn't solve anything. Remembering wounds inflicted by others prevents me from relating to my now because unforgiveness keeps me locked in the past. Finally, carrying guilt and regret over not being good enough, smart enough, skinny enough, loving enough, busy enough, etc disconnects me from God and ignores His grace. These hindrances keep me focused on perfectionism to combat negative feelings and thoughts. They keep me "entangled" and prevent me from running my race effectively (Hebrews 12: 1).  So, in this first week of 2014, God's grace is enough (2 Cor. 12:9) and His power will be made perfect in my weaknesses. I don't have to be in control because He is. When thoughts creep in and my perfectionism tempts me to worry or regret, my mantra will be "God's love and grace are enough and in Him, so am I". Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment